About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Who would have known five years ago...

Five years ago, I was asked to supervise the Master of Education project of Justin Metelus. I had met Justin in a course I taught a year or two earlier and I knew he was highly respected by his peers. I agreed to supervise him.

It's amazing how these things work out.

This week, I've realized how significant of a person he is in education in Haiti. Three weeks ago, he left his post at the Ministry of Education in Port au Prince to come to Cap-Haitien as the Director of the department. Here is a little bit of insight into his new life:

1. In the two hours he met with us today, there were 42 voice mail messages left on his phone.
2. Both yesterday and today, he had security guards with him at all times - he is pushing for change in the north and the government has provided the security guards as a measure of assurance for his work and vision.
3. His BlackBerry rings approximately 1x/minute.
4. Everywhere we went, people knew Justin.
5. He has established multiple schools, universities, and educational initiatives in the north.
6. Justin has a huge vision for the north (and Haiti) to be changed through education.

I could not have asked for a better colleague to work with here - highly connected, highly respected, and with a big vision!

No comments: