About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Re-examining educational leadership in Haiti

Earlier this year, we were not successful in receiving a Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) grant to support teacher training in Haiti. However, yesterday I had the opportunity to have lunch with the head of CIDA's program in Haiti and to discuss how we might support the development of school principals in Haiti. He was very helpful in pointing me to a number of people in Haiti who are doing important work in this area. I will be setting up appointments with these officials for my next trip in May with the hope of re-applying to CIDA in the summer.

I continue to be amazed that there is very limited concerted effort regarding principal development in Haiti. It was clear from our meeting, that a number of the Haitian ministries (including the one responsible for education) continue to be under-funded and with limited capacity to carry out their roles. It is as important as ever to work with our Haitian partners in developing and delivering a coherent, contextually relevant, training and mentoring mechanism.

No comments: