About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fixing Haiti - a meeting with the author, Jorge Heine

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet with Jorge Heine, the Chair in Global Governance at the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), affiliated with my university (WLU). He is a former Chilean ambassador to South Africa and India and has a long, distinguished career. He recently co-edited a book on Haiti (see below) and has been highlighted in some Canadian media outlets such as The Toronto Star and CBC.

I was amazed at how interested he was in my work in Haiti. There are four faculty members, between WLU, University of Waterloo, and CIGI who are doing work in Haiti. Jorge believes that this represents the largest core of faculty at universities in English-speaking Canada who are engaged with Haiti. He encouraged me to contact Mirlande Maniget, a former presidential candidate for Haiti and current vice-president (vice-rector) at Quisqueya University in Port-au-Prince. She wrote one of the chapters in his recent book Fixing Haiti: MINUSTAH and Beyond (see image below). While we were meeting, he sent her an email encouraging us to meet and I am hoping to do so when I am in Haiti in mid-May.

No comments: