About Me

My photo
I have been an elementary and secondary school teacher and administrator. Currently, I am a faculty member in the Faculty of Education at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My M.Ed. and Ph.D. had a focus on the educational and linguistic experiences of children who moved from other countries to Canada.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Master of Education in Haiti

For the past five years, I've been working with Laurel/FLET University in delivering graduate courses and supervising Haitian students in a Master of Education program. The students are mostly principals and superintendents of schools from across Haiti. The courses are delivered in Fermathe, just outside of Port au Prince.

This May, I'll be in Haiti to celebrate the graduation of those in the first cohort. I've supervised the culminating major project for nine of the graduating students. The most recent project, written by Justin Metelus who oversees the North Department (Haiti is divided into 10 regions or departments) of the Ministry of Education, provides a blueprint for how education needs to change in Haiti. The other projects have been of similar significance and with an incredible breadth of topics.

I am hoping to put a collection of these projects, abbreviated since most of them are 100+ pages in length, into an edited volume on educational context and change in Haiti. The M.Ed., the first of its kind in Haiti, has provided an amazing means to solidify and nourish a new generation of educational leaders in Haiti.

No comments: